Friday, March 20, 2009

Dexter: Season 1, Episode 1: "Pilot"


Dexter Season 1, Episode 1: “Pilot”
Grade: 7.4

I watched this a while ago so I might be sketchy about some of the details. First of all my intense love for Michael C. Hall has immediately reemerged with beginning this series. I loved him as David Fisher on “Six Feet Under”. I literally had an obsession with him culminating in my meeting him at the stage door after seeing him in “Chicago” on Broadway. I did not know at first, despite the universal critical acclaim he has received for his performance on “Dexter” if I was going to be able to see him as a serial killer because it was so different from David and because I knew him so well as David. In 5 minutes all of my fears dissipated. This is a completely different character, brilliantly performed, instantly memorable and the only time I was thinking of David was when I was marveling just how different the characters are. Dexter Morgan narrates the show which is a marvelous decision no doubt based on the structure of the book it is based on. Having him narrate for us is essential for understanding where he is coming from instead of him just being a creepy guy that we follow around. I had no idea his killing sprees were because Dexter has the urge to kill and this is how he decides to take them out. I figured the killing was Dexter’s completely voluntary choice which is completely wrong and all for the better. It makes his character what he is. Michael C. Hall has a talent for voiceover narration as we can see here, he’s not trying too hard, it comes off effortless and displays exactly the emotions and monotonous, highly observant, slightly bored quality that he I assume wants to convey.

We have the fascinating season arc of the Ice Truck Killer starting right away which is so interesting the back and forth game that he/she and Dexter are going to partake in for the rest of the series. The show itself is off to a really nice start. There are some different relationships on the show and certainly enough intriguing things to keep you interested, mainly Dexter himself. The other characters bring a unique quality to the show as well. Debra played by Jennifer Carpenter who Hall recently married, plays Dexter’s stepsister and she is fantastic. Her performance in “The Exorcism of Emily Rose” was one of the greatest performances in a not very good film (but not awful) that I’ve seen. I was hoping she’d get work after seeing her in that and thankfully she has. She makes Debra have awkward unique ridiculously human mannerisms that we never see on television. I love Carpenter’s acting style and she brings so much to the role that I doubt was on the page. Their interactions are really strong. Dexter’s relationship with Rita, a repeated rape victim who is in no way ready to have sex which is good because Dexter does not want to either, makes for another very unique and interesting relationship really well played by Julie Benz (Darla of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel). Then we have Doakes whose interactions with Dexter were hilarious. Lieutenant La Guerta who is played by Gloria Nathan from Oz (yay!) is sort of a bitch and has a creepy crush on Dexter (who wouldn’t with a face like that?) Angel (Enrique Morales from OZ!!) is another character I really like with the way his and Dexter’s fascination with murder scenes make them have something in common even if Dexter takes it way too far. So yeah this is a solid pilot, nothing mind blowing but definitely solid. I very much look forward into getting further into this series mainly because Dexter Morgan is such a fascinating character and is brilliantly played by Michael C. Hall.

No comments: