Monday, March 16, 2009

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, Episode 1: "Buffy vs. Dracula". Grade: 6.5


Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Season 5, Episode 1: “Buffy vs. Dracula”
Grade: 6.6

Ok this was a weak start to the Season for me. I can tell you right now I miss the way things were on this show. I appreciate the show evolving and I think it’s necessary and it could be a lot worse and I know I’m only 2 episodes in to the Season but I was not a big fan of either of them. I really liked how the episode led to Buffy asking Giles to be her Watcher again. I liked that right off the bat we see Buffy in a situation that she cannot completely control. I just think bringing Dracula into it was kind of hokey. I know the show has always had an element of camp, an essential one perhaps that does seem to disappear quite a bit but never completely. I still thought Dracula did not fit in here. I thought the actor did an adequate job; it could have been a lot worse.

I liked Willow’s attempt to make Giles’ contribution to the Scoobies seem more profound in an effort to make him feel more appreciated since she was the only one that knew that he was going to be leaving. I thought Xanders’ devotion to Dracula was a bit over the top even though it had its funny moments.

I like Anya much more than I thought I was going to. I think Emma gives her such creative line delivery with that always amusing touch of obliviousness.

Giles and the lady vampires were funny particularly when Riley saves him and he wanted to go back for his shoe.

And of course the episode ends with the introduction of Dawn who I can tell you right now from that first episode with her “Real Me”, I hate. I know that they are going to explain her sudden inclusion into the Buffyverse and why everyone acts as if she’s always been a part of the show and I’m interested in that but I can tell you right now: not a fan.

Even though I’m not really big on this season so far I love seeing how far these characters have come since Season 1. These characters, their chemistry and their performances are just as strong as ever so no matter what, all of these factors are still a huge part of the show that I love even if I’m not a fan of the story.


Favorite Quotes:

Xander: I'm exhausted just looking at those two. All this splashing, and jumping, and running... shouldn't relaxing involve less exertion?

Anya: Absolutely. Exertion can lead to sweatiness.

Tara: Which can cause the pain and heartbreak of stinkiness. Better to just stay put.

Willow: I think we just put the finger on why we're the sidekicks.


----------
Riley: (to Buffy) It could have been worse. At least you weren't making time with the Dracu-babes like Giles here.

Giles: I was not making time! I, I was, uh, just about to kill those, uh, loathsome creatures when Riley interrupted me.

Riley: (grins) You were gonna nuzzle 'em to death?

No comments: