Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, Episode 2: "Real Me"

Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Season 5, Episode 2: “Real Me”
Grade: 6.9


Ok so the introduction of Dawn episode. From what I understand Dawn does not exactly have the strongest fanbase. She seems to be sort of a hated character…and I completely understand why. The entire dynamic of the show changes with her arrival. I know that everything involving Dawn gets explained and I am excited for that even though I pretty much know the general concept of it. Ugh I don’t really know where to start with this episode. It’s weird but if this were a difference character I would think this idea and the way it’s executed is brilliant. Seriously brilliant. But it’s hard when the character is about to take over the show and you aren’t a fan.
Ok well I really like that they introduced Dawn by letting us hear her journal entries. It established her relationships with everyone and her feelings toward everything. But because in the earlier episodes they had been writing for what they thought was a 12 year old instead of a 14 year old and you can definitely tell. It’s actually a pretty big problem in the episode. What we learn about Dawn is that…she whines…a lot. While I understand where this is coming from its still…annoying. While I like Michelle Trachtenberg as an actress in general just from her days on “The Adventures of Pete and Pete” and in “Harriet the Spy” and then in “Mysterious Skin” and “Gossip Girl” I find that her acting is pretty unpolished in this first episode so it makes Dawn even more annoying with her amateur acting during certain moments particularly just looking at her in shots where the focus is meant to be someone else. She’s overreacting with her face to everything.

I had no idea that Buffy and everyone treat Dawn as if she were there the whole time. I thought that Buffy and them find her presence completely out of the blue and confusing for the audience. But they treat her as if we were the crazy ones who missed her presence the whole time. I think I actually like this better than what I thought it had been just because we immediately get to see how she fits into the group. I don’t know. I know I’ll get used to it but..ugh. This show has officially changed course and I can tell you right now it’s not the same. And unfortunately at this point of the show Riley feels a bit like dead weight even though I do like him very much. I know he’ll be leaving half way through the season but still. You can see that he is getting pushed to the side and the troubles are slowly starting. Riley has nothing but Buffy. Buffy has a lot more going on in her life. It’s imbalanced and eventually will lead to the end of their relationship. And the climax was very very underwhelming although this was a character introduction episode and needed something not too heavy in the villain department so that they could concentrate more on Dawn’s intro to the series.

There were some good moments though:
- The scene with Giles and Buffy in his new car. I really love that Giles and Buffy have reestablished their Watcher-Slayer relationship.
- I love that Giles bought the magic shop.
- The conversation between Willow and Tara.
- While Harmony never posed a threat at all I think the idea of her idea of being bad is hilarious.
- I also really liked all of the references to Xander being Dracula’s man bitch in the previous episode.
- Anya bringing over the games Monopoly, Life and Clue and then when she thinks she’s losing Monopoly even though shows winning was the best dialogue of the episode.
- Buffy laughing hysterically at the idea that Harmony is trying to self consciously be a villain.

Favorite Quotes:
- BUFFY:
Harmony, when you tried to be head cheerleader, you were bad. When you tried to chair the homecoming committee, you were really bad. But when you try to be bad ... you suck.

- ANYA:
Oh, crap. Look at this! Now I'm burdened with a husband and several tiny pink children, more cash than I can reasonably manage...
XANDER:
That means you're winning.
ANYA:
Really?
XANDER:
Yes. Cash equals good.
ANYA:
Ooh! I'm so pleased! Can I trade in the children for more cash?

- BUFFY:
So I won't be taking drama with you.
WILLOW:
What? You have to, you promised!
BUFFY:
Well, I know, but Giles said that it just was-
WILLOW:
The hell with Giles.
GILES:
I can hear you, Willow.

GILES:
I'm just not used to this automatic transmission. I-I loathe this sitting here, not contributing. No, i-it's not working out.
BUFFY:
Giles, are you breaking up with your car?
GILES:
Well, it did seduce me, all red and sporty!
BUFFY:
Little two-door tramp.
-

No comments: