Monday, March 9, 2009

Battlestar Galactica: Season 4, Episode 18: "Islanded in a Stream of Stars"


“Battlestar Galactica”
Season 4, Episode 18 “Islanded in a Stream of Stars”
Grade: B-


I love the name of this episode. And that’s pretty much the better part of what I loved involving this episode. It was not bad. It’s still better and more artistically inclined than most shows on TV. The issue I have is that we are 2 episodes and 3 hours away from being done…and not much happened in this episode. Seriously. What the hell? I figured last week would be set up which I accepted because it still had the Starbuck and Boomer/Tyrol focuses to give the episode structure but I saw no payoff to the buildup from the episode before. I thought the Starbuck stuff would be explained during this, the Opera house visions, etc. Nothing. There were moments and aspects that I really liked and a couple of things I loved but the episode had no clear focus in a show that has each episode having some structure to it and if I am 4 hours away from completing a series I should remember what happens in its finale episodes right? But I trouble remembering what even did happen. So what did happen?

- I had predicted that Roslin’s death would be exactly as we had seen it as it was foreseen at the end of Season 4.0. The setting has now been set and the scene now just has to be shown.

- Anders is now a Hybrid basically and was taking up some of Galactica’s reminaing energy? This came out of nowhere. Not sure how I feel about it. But it was really interesting to see that it is still saying that Kara is the harbinger of doom. So I am guessing this has not happened yet.

- Helo and Athena = not doing well; at all. Unsurprisingly. I have to say Tahmoh Penikett gave his best performance as Helo in this scene. It’s the best acting he has done in the whole show.

- Adama has given up on Galactica. I guess this is a huge development but we all knew they could not stay on there forever. I really liked his paintbrush breakdown scene.

- Have I mentioned I love Adama and Tigh?! I love them.

- So is Caprica Six not with Tigh anymore? They should tell us this or not.

- Boomer will rebel against what Cavil is doing with Hera. Obviously.

- The most interesting aspect of the episode for me was Starbuck and Gaius. I do not think they have had a scene for some time now (possibly not since Season 1). I like that they have finally given Gaius something to do and that we got to see him in scientist mode for a few seconds again. It’s been such a long time. But since we have not been following Gaius’ psyche for quite some time now I have no idea what he was thinking or trying to accomplish when he called out Starbuck in front of everyone. It was so weird. I mean it was great. I loved seeing so many of the characters in the same room. I loved seeing everyone’s reaction. I loved seeing her slap him across the face. The scene was great. But I have no idea why he did it. I am sure we will find out (at least I sincerely hope so) but it just proved how damn disconnected to him we are now.

- Ok we have two more weeks of this show and that is it. What will happen?

Favorite Scene:
- Lee and Starbuck. Her facial expressions said so much. It was such a great and long awaited scene.

Best Moment:
- Starbuck on the toilet in front of Gaius. Why? Because it was Pure Old School Starbuck.

No comments: