Friday, April 17, 2009

South Park: Season 13, Episode 6: "Pinewood Derby"



South Park:
Season 13, Episode 6: “Pinewood Derby”
Grade: 6.3


I was hoping for a lot more from this episode. I’ve never seen a bad episode of this show. I know there are so many I have not seen but I have yet to see a bad one. This was not a bad episode. It just was not a good episode. It started out with a lot of promise in the way it represented the stress, bonding and overly determinate fathers of the Pinewood Derby competition perfectly shown through Randy. Then it devolved into an alien plotline with a misguided attempt to spoof on the gangster movies and speech patterns of the 30’s with its repetitive storyline. The parts that I liked involved Randy because I love Randy. Randy getting upset is always a treat and it has not failed to make me laugh. Here it does as well. His anger towards Finland as they think about telling the truth was the best part of the episode. I know a lot of people hate an overexposure of Randy but I just get such a kick out of him. I did miss the complete lack of interaction between the kids which is really what makes the show what it is in the end and became a big detractor for the episode. The other best part of the episode was when Stan and Randy’s rivals, the Hollis’ in the Pinewood Derby lose and in response the father commits suicide. Hilarious. I also enjoyed the name Baby Fark McGeezax.

No comments: