Sunday, April 19, 2009

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: 6.8: "Tabula Rasa"


Season 6, Episode 8: “Tabula Rasa”
Grade: 9.5

I had no recollection of having seen this one before until I started it and realized it was one of the ones Amanda had shown me. This has some of the funniest stuff I’ve ever seen on this show and also some of the most intense. Let us start with the funny:
- I’m just about obsessed with everything involving the memory loss in this episode. Anya and Giles thinking they are engaged, Spike thinking he is Giles’ son. These interactions are things you will only see in this episode and that is what makes it special. Spike thinking his name is Randy. I could go on forever about how many times I laughed out loud during this episode.
- I liked that Buffy picked out the name Joan for herself.
- I actually liked the shark guy. It was really corny but it reminded me of early Buffy so I enjoyed it.
- Spike as Randy thinking that they wanted spiked instead of Spike.

The Bad:
- The episode lost steam about 30 minutes in for a few minutes and then picked it up again for the end.

The Serious:
- A really really intense scene gets cut because of Willow’s stupidity. Buffy was actually having a breakthrough or breakdown when it got cut off. Ugh. That stuff was insane.
- Giles telling Buffy he was leaving is depressing. I don’t even know whose side I am on for this one.
- Love the conversation between Willow, Xander, Tara and Anya about Buffy being in heaven and what they did. Willow suggesting a spell to fix it was absurd and seriously she’s retarded. Way to completely avoid dealing with any life issue Wil.
- Enjoyed the Willow-Tara break up scene. It’s so interesting how Willow really just immediately tries to solve the problem with the spell. She really does not take anything Tara says seriously. I like how Tara applied it to her violating her mind and brining up Glory.
- It was really depressing to see when Buffy remembers everything again. That realization and overflow of emotions must be insane.
- Everyone’s reaction in the tunnel with Willow and Tara
- The end scene with “Goodbye to You”. Don’t like the song but it worked well in the context of the scene.
Overall this was a great great great episode. One of my all time favorites of the series to be sure.

No comments: