Sunday, April 19, 2009

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: 6.1: "Bargaining: Part 1"


Here we go. I am 8 episodes into Buffy Season 6 and I would like to do each episode review now if I can. A lot of people are split between Season 6. The cast basically did not like it; a lot of fans don’t either. I actually like it a lot. However the freshness is certainly gone. The cast essentially hated each other or at least Sarah at this point and the chemistry between everyone is not as lively as it once was and I think in addition to the change of tone in the show that the onset tension contributed to that as well as a lot of people simply not enjoying their time on the show anymore. I can understand everyone’s frustrations about the show the direction it took. That is not the problem for me actually. I always like it when series evolve and take risks; for me it’s like dealing with the people who think Lost was the best in the beginning. I respect it but I think Seasons 4 and 5 are incredible and it’s because of the evolution of the show. While the show definitely has some problems at this point in the game I will always respect the naturalness of the characters and their evolutions. It’s always done with respect. That being said; let’s get into it.
Also it’s been as long as 3 weeks since I have seen some of these.

Season 6, Episode 1: “Bargaining Part 1”
Grade: 8.4

I very much liked this opener because it addresses a lot of the issues within the Scooby group that are going to be staples for the season. Most importantly is Willow’s magic addiction. A lot of people hate this whole story but actually it’s the most fascinating thing for me in the season just because I love Willow so much so it’s sort of fun as a viewer to see your opinions about her change and to see how they pull of her descent into the dark side. We get to see what life is like without Buffy and that it has been 5 months. They use the BuffyBot which was great and really creepy and disturbing that someone that acts like Buffy is still in their presence. Her interaction with everyone is interesting so it was a nice element. I enjoy that Spike kept his promise to protect Dawn.
I had a lot of favorite parts; one was the scene in which Willow kills the fawn because it was so unexpected. The other one was Giles at the airport and everyone rushing there to say goodbye to him. It was so touching and will surely be one of my favorite scenes in the series. The Buffy resurrection scene was really messed up as I did not expect it to go that far with the pain that Willow went through. Her determination for this to work and confidence was quite off putting. I really liked the time that they put into addressing the groups reservations about the spell particularly Xander. We learn that Xander and Anya have not told anyone about their engagement which is not surprising. The unfortunate thing about this plotline is that they set it up too early; even if I did not know how this would all end, you can see where they are going with it. Also at the end of the episode it was really really disturbing to see a 5 month decaying version of Buffy. I am glad they added that touch.
Detractors:
- I know that the biker demons are there so Buffy thinks she is in hell once she gets out but seriously they were way lame and took up way too much screen time.

Random Moment:

Tara: “Grr. Arrgh”

No comments: