Sunday, April 19, 2009

My So-Called Life: Season 1, Episode 5: "The Zit"


Season 1, Episode 5: “The Zit”
Grade: 8.7

This is my favorite episode outside of the pilot so far. See, while I hate Sharon, as I’ve said before I totally understand where she is coming from and am actually on her side in the whole Angela/Sharon breakup. But I still hate Sharon. She grates on me. But the scenes between Sharon and Angela are my favorites on the show. So this was essentially a gold mine for me with two incredible scenes with the two of them. The first is when Angela asks Sharon if she is participating in the mother/daughter fashion show and Sharon is just not ready to pretend she did not basically dump her. So Sharon calls Angela out on the zit in the title which was really very harsh and uncalled for. Then Angela comes back with a doozy by calling her out on being named Best Hooters on a list that had been made in the episode. Ohh snap. Fucking classic. The second is when they do actually bond a bit but then Rayanne comes in and they stop talking. Rayanne tells Angela she can be friends with Sharon if she wants but Angela says she does not want to be. Really harsh.
So yeah, said list. Rayanne is named most Slut Potential which she is really proud of. Angela states that she does not like it because she does not want people saying things about her.
Rayanne calls Angela out on not wanting people talking about her because Angela is associated with her. Wow. Good call. I like that Rayanne is made to be a lot more intuitive about things than you would think.

So Angela is not on the list which makes her think she is ugly and that she does not matter. I related to this so much because about 4 years of my life was basically what Angela went through in this episode.

Patty wants to be in the mother/daughter fashion show and basically pretends that Angela is interested. I enjoyed this storyline as well.

I love love love love love love love the randomness of the interactions between Ricky and Brian. They are not two character you would expect to get time together and the show constantly surprises me with the people they put in scenes together. This was some of the best stuff of the episode.

Sharon deals with her boyfriend who is a nimrod. He’s nice. He’s just a nimrod though.
Something else I’ve really liked about the last 2 episodes though is that Jordan is in little of them. This will all change soon though. : (

Best moments:
- The last scene
- Jordan saying to Angela about the Metamorphoses: “So it’s not a true story right?” Ahahahaha. What a dumbass.
- Rickie: What? Who's in there?Brian: Sharon and that guy.Rickie: Oh, so what? Were they kissing?... More than kissing?Brian: He was, like, making her beg for her shoe.Rickie: Wow! I never heard of that.

1 comment:

Robyn said...

I love My So-Called Life and I agree, this episode was wonderful.