Sunday, April 19, 2009

My So-Called Life: Season 1, Episode 4: "Father Figures"


Season 1, Episode 4: “Father Issues”
Grade: 8.4
Have I mentioned I love Graham? Seriously he’s the best dad ever. But Angela does not seem to think so. She suspects he is having an affair because, well, he almost did. She resents him for it. Something that surprised me about the episode was the fact that Angela and Graham do not have a scene together that confronts the issue. The episode ends pretty happily but they still never confront that. I kept waiting for it but it never came. Graham senses that Angela hates him so he tries to win her over by giving her and Rayanne Grateful Dead tickets. Rayanne is really really pumped while Angela could really care less.
My favorite aspect of the episode was the interaction between Rayanne and Graham and everything involving Rayanne in the episode. Rayanne really appreciates Graham, clings to her interaction with him because she does not have a father like that. So when Angela sells the has Jordan scalp the Grateful Dead tickets literally because she just wanted something to say to Jordan, she gets very angry with her and chastises her for not appreciating her father. I thought I was going to hate Rayanne. I actually love Rayanne. I know she is going to do some things to piss me off because I already know a decent amount about what happens on the show, but right now I love her and I love the way they handled this issue because I figured she would just get pissed because she wanted to go to the concert. This is an example of writers taking something a step further than one usually would and really getting some great characterization, interaction and scenes out of it.
Patty is also dealing with father issues with her dad when their business gets audited. I was not a huge fan of this story but I did like it enough and I liked the scene at the end with her and her father. I also liked how Patty comforted Graham because Angela was having issues with him because she is always the one in that position.
We also got a very nice scene between Angela and Brian in his car. Brian always finds a way to mess everything up. Even though Angela has a ridiculously short tolerance for Brian.
Favorite Moment: The end when Graham sees Brian and wants him to help him with the roof and Brian just waves and keeps riding his bike around in circles.
So yeah I guess that wraps it up.

No comments: