Sunday, April 19, 2009

My So-Called Life: Season 1, Episode 3: "Guns and Gossip"


My So Called Life:
Season 1, Episode 3: “Guns and Gossip”
Grade: 8.0


These are hard to do because unlike Buffy I cannot find satisfactory recaps of the episodes and it has been a long time since I watched this one. But here I go. I’ll do it by character:
Angela: A gun goes off at school and all Angela cares about is a note that is being passed around about her having to do with the rumor going around that her and Jordan had sex. As I’ve said before I like how they make Angela quite flawed but in the way all 15 year olds are. An example of this is how Angela does not really care about the gun going off and is way more concerned about the gossip about her. Then Jordan suggests they have sex and then when she turns him down he later apologizes in an unintentionally harsh way by telling her that he has no interest in her and it was wrong to suggest that. He has no idea the way she feels about him. Danes is of course perfection in every episode and she really shows the audience what she is going through in her head in that scene while Jordan cannot see what we do.
Brian: It turns out Brian is the one who started the rumor about Angela and not Jordan. Correction; Brian told Sharon because he felt used by Angela and then she in turn told everyone. I cannot wait for “Life of Brian” because I am just utterly fascinated by him and how he drifts in and out of the other characters lives and is essentially an observer. He’s so weird and in such a unique way. Brian Krakow rules. Also Brian is pressured by the principal and police to tell them what he knows about the gun show because he witnessed it. I thought he would say what he knew but he did not. Good for Brian. Even though…
Ricky: …Ricky wanted Brian to tell the police what he saw so that everyone would be afraid to mess with him. Her we see just how tormented Ricky is at school and it’s very sad. And the worst thing about it is that the issue is just as prevalent then as it is now. We’ve made no progress. I love the scene between Ricky and Angela in the car. It was very touching.
Patty: Patty goes to a school meeting to discuss the gun incident and meets Rayanne’s mom. Rayanne’s mom is exactly who you would think she’d be. It’s great. Then Patty thinks that Angela is sleeping with Jordan and tries to talk to her about it which does not go well. It’s absurd how long it takes Angela to tell her mom she is not having sex.
That’s all I can think of for this episode. Overall a very good one.

No comments: