Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Office: Season 5, Episode 8: "Frame Toby"



The Office: Season 5, Episode 8: "Frame Toby"

Grade: B

Ok so I’ve decided that I really just don’t like Jim and Pam. I’ll just never be happy enough in my own life to be able to actually be happy for a couple like that. So I find myself wanting for bad things to happen to them. Oh I’m evil alright. So don’t pay attention to my rantings about them. I do find some things I have to say about them to be completely valid but there is a lone I cross into being completely hateful of them and I am aware of it. Nevertheless I liked the shot of him trying to rip off the clown picture. I also liked Pam’s note on the microwave because it reminds me of something Matt has done. And I love Oscar’s objection to it. I don’t know. So yay they have a house. I don’t know. I guess I’m just not invested in them. Unless something bad is happening to them. Muahahahahahahahahahaha. And yet I prefer them to be together than to be apart like in Season 2. Barf. Anyways…

So the return of Toby. I sort of missed Toby, although I obviously prefer Holly. I did not expect Michael to go as far as he did with his efforts to get Toby out. I believe his outlandish behavior can be attributed to motivation spurred on by the idea that Toby is taking Holly’s place. It does not hurt that he also despises Toby and goes over the top on a semi regular occasion. The opening of the episode was the best part. Jim’s realization that Michael did not know about Toby was classic and Michael’s reaction was one of the funniest things I’ve seen on The Office in a while. I think it could have been the funniest part of the season so far for me. Framing Toby was really harsh and I like that Michael at least tried to stop it a little bit at the end but it was a real dick thing to do and not only that but really wrong. What if he actually had bought pot? But that would never happen on this show of course.

Fuck Kelly and Ryan. I cannot believe we wasted the time on them. However Ryan going up to Pam in an underhanded attempt to get her to clean up the microwave mess because he did not want to do it was ridiculous and I love the way Pam handled that.

Overall I really enjoyed the episode as entertainment but I had a few issues with the believability of the plot. I don’t think Michael would go that far to get Toby out of a job. Although Michael is someone who does not understand the consequences of his actions. Toby being there for a week without Michael noticing is dumb. I don’t really know how to judge this episode. I really enjoyed it but it had some issues and the initial reaction I’m seeing from fans is bad. But I don’t know. I liked it. Despite Kelly-Ryan stupidity.

Hmm. I don’t really know what else to say. This was as informal as possible. But oh well.

1 comment:

woohoo said...

I didn't like this episode as much as you did. I think it was just o.k., I feel like everything is back to where we were last year. Pam and Toby are back in the office, Kelly and Ryan are together, Ryan is still trying to find ways of dumping her. Dwight and Angela are still having a secret relationship. Characters have been through a lot more stuff since last year, but as of this week's episode, everything is back to normal, so I'm hoping the writers will find some new places to take these characters. How about Creed's reaction to the narcotics police. He is the only person in that place that did actually have something to hide. I'm hoping for some more laughs next week, and some kind of resolution to the whole Andy, Angela, Dwight thing. Another thing, Dwight is getting meaner as time goes on, not sure how much I'm liking this side of him.