Sunday, November 23, 2008

24: Redemption


24: Redemption
Grade: C-
Out first glimpse of Jack Bauer in a year and a half. It’s been a long time. This movie could have been the shittiest thing on Earth and I wouldn’t care just because I get to see Jack Bauer again. Here is my relationship with 24. It used to be my life. Seriously, my life. Around Season 6, even a bit in Season 5 I started to lose the feeling I would have when it would come on. It became predictable. You could see where things were going and how the season was structured. It became impossible to become surprised by anything because nothing could be shocking anymore. Jack had gone through so much there was literally nothing that could push him into a state we have not seen. I still liked it but it was more fun to pick apart and it was a show that although I liked it, it no longer made me feel the way it used to. It is something that I can never get back. I don’t want to say I grew out of it because it sounds condescending but the show became something that could no longer have that effect on me. This is a combination of the series’ decline in quality and something it can never ever ever ever get back which is its freshness. After you have experienced that tension and it dies down it cannot be revived. After a while I decided to stay with the show. It provides some good moments and I hated the idea of Jack Bauer stuff happening without me knowing. So this was the first Jack Bauer in a year.

I missed the 24 logo, the ticking clock, the split screen. I missed Jack whispering, Jack yelling, Jack making promises, Jack watching people he knows die, seeing half naked character soon to be killed off within 4 episodes. Oh the good times. So yeah this was not a very good TV special. I understand that a lot of set up needed to be done but it felt pretty boring for much of the time. I felt like Jack was not in all that much of it. As it went on it got better I felt. It suffered from ridiculously corny music, typical stereotyping on the part of the show, something that they do all the time. Basically I wasn’t on the edge of my seat and it was annoying having all new people because I felt completely disconnected from everyone except Jack. And Robert Carlyle that is because he was great, immediately brought his presence to the show in a really positive and awesome way only, of course, die. And only, of course have us see Jack cry…again. Jack crying still makes me cry. Always will.

I liked how it set up for next season because I thought it would be a lot more pointless. Yet it still felt that way sort of. The last 20 minutes were very good I must say; at least definitely in comparison to the rest of the film.

“You didn’t give me a choice you son of a bitch” Awesome.

So yeah I did not hate it and I know a C- seems harsh but it just dragged for the better part of it. But it was still fun and obviously really nice to see Jack again. I was having fun with it and laughing a lot at things I would not have been normally. That is what has changed. My relationship with the show. I would never laugh at the show the way I do now back then. I still take it seriously but I just have a different relationship with the show now and I’m not at the edge of my seat. I have fun with that. I like that it saves a hell of a lot of set up for next season. This way we can get right into it.

The preview was decent. I just don’t care for the Tony story. It angers me. Honestly though I find it pretty believable for Tony to have gone bad. He was weaker than Michelle was, he would basically sacrifice the country so Michelle could live, which she would not have anyways. Lest we forget that Michelle would have sacrificed Tony. Tony seems the type to easily turn evil because he wants revenge and because he was a bit of a whiny baby. No offense. Obviously his situation would make most people be the way he was but he gets very angry. It’s not so much the believability of it but the fact that a. he is alive and b. it’s just stupid. We shall see what happens though.

Well, until January!

No comments: