Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Gossip Girl: Season 2, Episode 10 "Bonfire of the Vanity"


Gossip Girl – Season 2, Episode 10: “Bonfire of the Vanity”
Grade: B-


How many episodes is Aaron signed on for on this show? Can he leave? I know he’s supposed to be a character in the books but he’s so annoying. I hate him; every time he is in a scene I cringe. It’s Gossip Girl’s rendition of the pretentious artist and it comes off as obvious and uninspired. It makes Serena boring by comparison. Lately though I’ve realized that she’s not as interesting as I thought she was.


I love Jenny’s story because I love to see her take a plunge. I want her to hit rock bottom. She’s a spoiled brat who has no reason to even act spoiled to begin with. I understand the reason why she is doing what she is doing but to take it to such an extreme is frankly surprising. Her new haircut and eye makeup are super lame as well. So I enjoy the Jenny story. I thought Taylor gave a great performance this week even though I hate the expression she always has on her face. It reads as disgust.


The Chuck story was my favorite this episode. His moment with Dan outside the elevator was well done as was his scene at the end. It will be great to see if the fire incident will come back. Oh wait. I just realized something. I read a huge spoiler the other week. Oooh that makes this story quite important...and harsh. I like Dan but he’s so boring.


I was shocked that Blair went through with her plan. I don’t know why I was but I was. Yes she took it back after but after hearing Cyrus’ story she still went through with it. I have always appreciated the balance that the writers have given Blair. She is way more evil than a lot of “evil” high schoolers in TV and movies but yet she is not supposed to be the villain of this show and she is a layered character. Very layered in fact.


So overall a decent episode but not out of this world or anything. Definitely things going on that I’m not interested in but I’ve never been interested in everything going on on Gossip Girl at once. It sounds like I'm being harsh with the B- but it's hard to judge tv episodes. If a C is an average episode, one has to figure out what an average episode is for the show. So a C actually is not all that bad, but it means there's nothing notable really in the episode.
Favorite moments:
-Dan and Chuck outside elevator
-"I was expecting Cary Grant but instead I got Danny DeVito"
-Chuck and Bart at the end of the episode.
- Cyrus' speech about Vietnam
-Agnes sets Jenny's clothes on fire (muahahahahaha)

No comments: