Saturday, November 22, 2008

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 4, Episode 19



Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 4, Episode 19: "New Moon Rising"

Grade: B

“New Moon Rising” marks the official end of Willow and Oz’s relationship. This was one of those episodes that I feel I would have been much more invested in if I had no idea what was going to happen. At this point in the show I had already gotten over the Willow/Oz relationship pretty much. Not over it in the sense that I did not like them anymore obviously; I still adore them. The fact of the matter is that I had mourned the relationship and was ready to move on and knowing what was going to happen in the episode when Oz comes back. So my opinion is pretty affected by that. This sounds like a lead up to this being a bad episode. It definitely is not in any way bad. It is actually quite good. It is just that considering the magnitude of the events in the episode, my enthusiasm for it does not match with the importance of it. That being said, this is a solid B episode with some great interactions and moments.

Something I’d like to point out is the parallel of Buffy and Riley’s story and Willow and Oz/Tara’s. By the end of the episode, Buffy deals with the fact that she has to tell Riley about Angel after he makes a comment about Willow having dated Oz because he is a werewolf. Where Riley has to accept Buffy for who she was involved with, Buffy has to accept Willow for who she IS involved with. Buffy’s reaction to Willow telling her she was involved with Tara was interesting. If the show had been made today, Buffy would not have had the reaction she did; one of surprise, hesitancy, discomfort and the slight suggestion of incapable understanding. I thought it was an interesting decision to have Buffy dealing with having to tell Riley about her past on the same episode as Willow Is finally making her break with Oz.

I don’t really know what to say about the episode since I watched it about 2 days ago. I’m excited about Willow and Tara to finally be a couple now. I just wanted to get past that awkward fist stage because it felt a bit forced. I think Amber Benson does a fantastic job and I’m so happy to have her on the cast. However, when she stutters it comes off as someone acting. I wish she was a little better at that.

Of course I cried during the episode. Everyone did a great job especially Alyson Hannigan. The scene in the truck at the end was a great end to Willow and Oz. I am happy they do not leave of on horrible notes. The episode is also notable for Riley officially leaving the Initiative and joining the Scoobies side. I’m sorry I do not have more to say but it’s been a couple of days and I have many other entries to post. : )

Quotes

Buffy: Stay back, or I'll pull a William Borroughs on your leader here.

Xander: You'll bore him to death with free prose?

Buffy: Was I the only one awake in English that day?

- Adam: Scout's honor.

Spike: You were a boy scout?

Adam: Parts of me.

-Oz: It was stupid to think that you'd just be ... waiting.

Willow: I was waiting. I feel like some part of me will always be waiting for you. Like, if I'm old and blue-haired and I turn the corner in Istanbul and there you are, I won't be surprised. Cuz ... you're with me. You know?


- Oz: I think I better take off.

Willow: When?

Oz: Pretty much now.

No comments: