Thursday, November 20, 2008

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 4, Episode 17: "Superstar"


Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 4, Episode 17: "Superstar"
Grade: B

I’m typing as I watch. This is new. I love that this episode starts out with the alternate reality already. I expected it to be the way these types of episodes usually work. About 10-15 minutes of intro and then some alternate universe stuff. What I love about this episode are the little touches of Jonathan worship sprinkled throughout the show without there being a lot of attention being called to some of them. The intro to the show (genius by the way), the shrine Willow and Tara are making throughout a scene that you don’t see until the end, the poster of him in Riley’s room. It’s all very strange and bizarre and this is the type of episode that could only really be done on this show.

It is interesting to see the world of Buffy, the Vampire Slayer revolve around Jonathan and how he functions within that. He helps Buffy and Riley out with advice, he is in charge of covert operations within the Initiate, he is in charge of the Scoobies, etc. He is everywhere. I like that in this alternate reality the problems and situations of all of the characters still exist. He helps Buffy and Riley genuinely work through their problems even if it is just him wanting to have people want his advice.

I need to point out that I was skeptical about Adam because I did not like the way he looked. It looked hokey and frankly sort of dumb. But I am impressed by him solely because of the acting and writing. I still think the appearance is ineffective. But the actor has a great voice and the dialogue he is given makes him an interesting character.

I also find it interesting that Jonathan actually did all of the things that Buffy actually did in addition to everything else. Buffy is different in this universe where everyone else is the same. I mean she’s basically the same except she is a bit of a wuss, can’t fight, let’s Spike touch her and is afraid to question the authority of Jonathan, for a while that is.
The wipe effect at the end was lame haha.

While this definitely is not an essential episode and it is ultimately pretty pointless, I actually found it much more entertaining than I thought it would be and a lot of fun.

Moments:
-Tara’s line: “Oh my God, I think he is going to play something off the new album!”
-Buffy’s conversation with Jonathan at the coffee shop
-The reveal of the Jonathan shrine
-Adam: “These are lies. None of this is real. The world has been changed. It’s intriguing but it’s wrong.”
-Buffy and Anya’s conversation when she visits Anya at Xanders’.
-Buffy: Giles, do you have Jonathan’s music calendar?
Giles: “No”
Buffy looks in confusion
Giles: “Yes. It was a gift.”
-Xander’s reaction to Buffy being right. “No!” (Hilarious if you see it)
-Giles: "Jonathan won't be Jonathan. Well, not our Jonathan anyways."
Xander: "No, no, no! World without sunshine! World without joy!"

No comments: