Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 4, Episode 16: "Who Are You?"

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 4, Episode 16: "Who Are You?"

Grade: A+

The second part of the Buffy-Faith story in Season 4 is easily one of the best episodes of the series. Top 5 episodes objectively speaking. I actually think it’s better than the series favorite, “Hush”. It explores every issue between Faith and Buffy in an extremely effective way boasting 2 unbelievable performances by Sarah Michelle Gellar and Eliza Dushku. It’s disturbing, entertaining and sets up issues that I know are going to be prevalent in future episodes. Oh and it’s written and directed by Joss Whedon.

I do not even know where to start since in my opinion there may be episodes as dense as this one, but none that are more dense. “Who Are You” packs in everything that was explored between Buffy and Faith and does it in one episode. I have to spend some time on these performances because I was expecting them to be good but I honestly felt I was watching Faith and Buffy in each other’s bodies. It felt completely real. Sarah and Eliza had all of the mannerisms and speech patterns down so perfectly, it was uncanny. These are two of the best episode performances I’ve seen on any show period. When Faith (Buffy) beats up Buffy (Faith) and starts screaming “You’re nothing! You’re disgusting!” it’s actually Faith beating up herself and it’s a pretty disturbing moment accentuated by Sarah’s performance as she screams and beats up Faith as Faith. This episode rested on these two performances. If they did not work then the entire point to the two parter would be well, pointless. I am still reeling from the absolute success of this episode.

Faith (as Buffy) hitting on Spike was an interesting scene and one that sets up Spike’s interest in Buffy that will continue into other seasons. It was interesting to see Spike’s reaction to Buffy deciding not to yell at him. He got upset, he was upset that he was not considered a threat anymore but really because he likes the banter between him and Buffy. I could not believe the dialogue that they got away with in this episode. “I’ll ride you until your legs buckle together. I’ve got muscles you wouldn’t believe. I’ll make you pop, etc” Holy crap how did that get on the air? Shocking. Really great scene though due to James Marsters work there as his reaction said volumes and I love his response “Later, you and me are going to have a confrontation”. Great line and great delivery. Sounds like it’s supposed to be funny but the way he says it really is not and he is upset after she leaves.

I wonder if this Riley having sex with Buffy but actually Faith will effect things short term. Faith actually having someone make love to her as opposed to fucking her was insane. Her reaction to having someone love her even if it wasn’t her was too much for her to take. To feel that love was something she could not handle. Sarah is so phenomenal in this episode that I literally am thinking of Sarah’s performance as somehow Eliza’s which it is not.

Eliza’s scene with Giles is very funny seeing her play at the banter they usually have.

So Willow and Tara’s scene when they perform their ritual to locate Buffy’s energy is one that is latent with sexual overtones. This ritual they go through basically looks like they are having sex while sitting next to each other and it was a really clever way of getting around the censors and giving something with more sexual tension than something that would have been a lot more blatant. I wish that the Willow-Tara transition had been better because I’m excited for them to be a couple but the transition into it has been a little rocky and forced. I really liked them in this episode though.

I loved how the “Because it’s wrong” quote came back around at the end.

This episode explored what happens as Faith slowly sees herself from Buffy’s point of view through her experiences as Buffy and dealing with people caring about her. Eventually she begins to question everything as she quickly starts to lose it. When Buffy was transformed back to her own body she felt for a second what Faith was just feeling. This is all incredibly dense stuff as it only scratches the surface of everything. I don’t think there will be a better episode of this show. Some will match it but nothing will beat it. A masterpiece in television.

No comments: