Tuesday, February 3, 2009

"The Office" Season 5, Episode 13: "Stress Relief"



"Stress Relief"
Grade: A-

Some people had issues with this episode but I found it to be hilarious and consistently funny for the most part. Yes its over-the-top, yes Dwight would never still have a job but honestly this show has been implausible for a long time. It shifted in a much different direction from the Office U.K early on and has not really looked back. That being said, a lot happened so I'll just jot some notes down.

The Good:

-The opening with Dwight simulating the fire was the funniest opening to this show that I have ever seen. I thought I would die laughing in those three minutes.
-"Stayin Alive"
- Everything involving the roast. Everyone was funny but Steve Carell's acting as the scene went on just became more and more impressive. Give him another Emmy please.
-I actually liked the Jim and Pam stuff this week. While it was resolved so quickly and the very end of it was lame as hell I actually liked what they did with most of that story.
-Stanley's stress level machine going off every time Michael goes near him.
-Michael trying to sit on the other side of the table at the meeting.
- Michael: "I have got to make sure Youtube comes down here to film this"
-Michael roasting everyone at the end and everyone laughing. My favorites were:
"Meredith - you have sex with so many guys you are starting to look like one; roasted!"
"Stanley - You crush your wife during sex and your heart sucks; roasted!"
"Oscar - you're gay; roasted!"
"Pam - You failed art school; roasted!"
-Michael tossing out the bread in the playground.
The pacing of the entire episode.

The Bad:

-Something that has happened in recent episodes has changed my opinion of Dwight. He has become way too cruel and mean lately. He always was but it was in a fun way but now I have been given no reason to like him at all. He annoys me now and while he is still funny, I just find his unnecessary cruelty to be overbearing at times and also really off putting.
-The Jack Black/Jessica Alba/Cloris Leachman stuff was bad and ridiculous. It had no focus, was dropped in out of nowhere, clearly forced and just unfunny. Alba was onscreen for maybe two seconds. Ridiculous.
-Andy thinking Pam and Jim were gurus was funny but it never went anywhere at all. It seemed like it was dropped in there to make the film clips feel like they have a purpose.
-Pam at the end saying "When you're a kid you assume you parents are soulmates. My kids are gonna be right about that." Barf. What a lame ass way to end a decent storyline.

No comments: