Friday, February 6, 2009

"Lost" Season 5, Episode 4: "The Little Prince"


"The Little Prince"
Grade: B+


I was not blown away by this episode on first viewing just because it took time to slow down for stuff. The more I think about it though the more I absolutely loved it though and really appreciated that it took time to assess what has been going on and to really take a breather from it all while still moving the story forward a bit.


This was a sort of breather episode where we got to slow down a bit and assess what has been going on. I am still a bit confused about the jumps in time and what the rules are but I know they are not misused as in "Heroes". Can I just say that when people refer to "Lost" and "Heroes" in the same sentence it makes me want to gouge my eyes out? Two shows could not be anymore different in quality. To compare "Heroes" to "Lost" is giving way more credit to "Heroes" than is deserved and is astoundingly insulting to "Lost" and the quality of it. "Heroes" does not deserve to lick the boots of "Lost".


Anyways. Wednesday provided a moment that could be my favorite of the season thus far and that would be Sawyer seeing Season 1 Kate deliver Claire's baby. How touching/cool was that moment? It was beautiful. Locke's recall of his freak out moment in season 1 following Boone's death was insightful as well. As Jensen said, Kate delivering Claire's baby now has special significance because she is raising it.

-Daniel said to Miles that the nose bleeds might be happening in order of time duration on the island. So is Miles really Marvin Candle's son? And does Daniel know this or is he geniunely being quizzical?

-"Thank the Lord!" "I take that back!" Hilarious

- I am happy we pretty much have all of the Oceanic 6 together so we can get all of this moving along more quickly than I had expected.


Theory! I think that the show will continually try to get us to like Ben and get us used to the idea that while he is always on his own side, that he is genuinely trying to help them out. Then I think he will kill Penny when he finds out she is in L.A and subsequently the audience will have to further grapple about how we feel about him.


-Lesson learned: Never leave Sun with kids. As Jensen put it: where the hell is Ji-Yeon!?


-Jin is alive! Yay! I had already known that but I did not know when he was coming back. Fantastic return. Young Danielle Rousseau is perfect. She is cute and young and looks abit like her and has presence. I could not be happier about that.


-Hurley = happiest person to be in jail ever.

- I like seeing Jack trying to pull it all together now that he has a purpose.

-Kate giving Jack a chance was really nice and touching. I liked all of their intereactions this week.

- Who is trying to constantly shoot Sayid with tranq darts?


Theory/Prediction! Juliet and Sawyer will become a couple!


(Kate looking in shock at Ben)

Jack: "Don't worry he's with us"

Kate's reaction to all of this was great.


As was her exchanging looks with Ben as she realized he was the one trying to take Aaron away so he could basically blackmail her into going back to the island.


I wonder if we will find out the significance of Claire telling Kate "Don't you dare bring him back!"


Oh this is all becoming too good to be true. While a few are complaining about the time travel aspect it is something that has been hinted at since Season 3. Most everyone is getting a huge kick out of it including myself who loves how this device is letting us see glimpses of the past thus is filling in bits of information to us thus letting us see stuff as opposed to just having it told to us thus making the world of Lost so much fuller and so much more satisying and whole.


I wish I could go into dozens of other parts of the episode but I cannot. I can only afford short observational reviews like this one. Until next week's Episode 5 "This Place is Death" Bye!


Season 5 Episodes in Order:

1. "Jughead" (3)

2. "The Little Prince" (4)

3. "Because You Left" (1)

4. "The Lie" (2)

No comments: