Sunday, February 1, 2009

"Lost" Season 5, Episode 3: "Jughead"





"Jughead"
Grade: A-


I would just like to say how much I appreciate this show and its existence. I will defend it to the death. What it has had the guts to do is incredible. So many shows are about making it accessible, inviting people to watch and while "Lost" has that with its recap specials and such this show has been very much the opposite, creating a special kind of television viewing. This kind of viewing has been adament about stripping away bit by bit the people who cannot keep up whether it be time constraints, disliking the show's progression or an unwillingness to throw oneself into it. This is not a show that can really be casually watched and if it is, the viewer is simply not getting what they could out of it. This show has gradually attained a special language in which episodes literally only make sense to the people that keep up and pay attention and in so many cases do outside research in confirming what we know. And even then it gets confusing easily. It has created an interactive viewing experience. One that has essentially purposefully attempted to weed out anyone who is unwilling to commit the time to the show so we are left with a majority of people who are an insane group of fans who are grateful to have a show that is this involving, complex, wonderfully time consuming and blissfully entertaining. I am so happy to be a part of this. It will change television and the mediums ambitions I truly believe will shift slightly as a result of this show's complexity. Much like "Twin Peaks" or "The X-Files" it makes you feel like you are a part of something and it is taking that idea a step further than either of these shows have as they paved the way for something like "Lost" to exist.


That being said; what a great episode. It really showed the potential of the new plotting devices without the flashbacks or forwards in a way we did not see in the previous two episodes which while great, felt a bit all over the place.

So is Charlotte dead? I hope not since I am way into her and Daniel. The crush I have for him grows literally with each episode and I am excited that he seems to be so important to the overall arc of this show. I wonder what the deal is with Widmore funding his research, with Theresa, with everything? What's the deal with Ellie? Widmore was an Other? WTF?! Revelations abound. Was "Jughead" the item contained in the Hatch? I am so confused.... Meanwhile, Sawyer and Juliet are totally getting together at some point. I am calling this.

I love the use of time travel in the show and how its usage is not simply thrown in but is really thought out by what we have learned from it so far and the rules that come with it. It honestly feels somewhat plausible. Its genius usage of the idea so far and has shown that this show can honestly do anything.

Ok so Penny and Desmond are going to L.A...Ben is in L.A...Ben wants Penny dead....Please do not let this happen.

Other stuff...Ok so if it has been three years since they left the island then something does not make sense. Why did Desmond have the memory recall when it had only been one day they had left the island from Daniel's perspective? This actually makes no sense...

The Locke-Alpert conversation was probably the highlight for me. Oh my God what a perfect example of why I watch this show.

Oh and Desmond and Penny's son being named Charlie basically ripped my heart out.

Oh my God this is a horrible review. I will try to do better next week. : )

Episode Order for Season 5:

1. Jughead (3)
2. Because You Left (1)
3. The Lie (2)

No comments: