Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 6, Episode 11: "Gone"


Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Season 6, Episode 11: “Gone”
Grade: 5.5

I really really did not like this episode. I mean basically nothing about it made it enjoyable for me. It felt out of tone and like a failed attempt to meld the old aspects of the show with the new tone. There are some pretty important issues that come up in the episode but because of the immature way they are handled later on in the same episode, it makes it feel like the issues are not as serious as they actually are. For instance the whole thing with the social worker. This, like other scenes in the beginning of the episode start out well but only end up getting overshadowed by really bad scenes in the rest of the episode.

I do like the scene in which Buffy cuts off her hair.

So we get more of the Trio which means automatic points taken off for the episode. The way Buffy acts when she is invisible was what I hated about the episode. It held no comedic value which the episode clearly wanted it to hold. I like the idea of her enjoying the fact that she is invisible because she does not have to answer to anyone and it very clearly reflects where she is at that point on the show but it’s just handled again so poorly. The Ghost of Fashion Victims’ Past scene made me wince. Everything at the social workers’ office was just so childish and annoying. Again I understand that they are trying to showcase Buffy’s immaturity and inability to handle anything that comes along but honestly I was just bored and annoyed by the whole thing.

The scene with Xander and Spike was amusing though but Buffy in it was just so immature. It’s ridiculous.

Well at least Buffy finds out about the identity of The Trio in this one. And then of course we get Willow going through withdrawal and drinking lots and lots of water. Ugh. Overall the aspects I liked, the opening scenes, Willow doing an old school investigation and Buffy cutting her hair are just not enough to save this episode for me which I really felt was just not good at all.

No comments: