Monday, May 11, 2009

24: Season 7, Episode 22: "5:00am-6:00am"


24:
Season 7, Episode 22: “5:00am-6:00am”
Grade: 6.9

I am not sure why, after so many great episodes of 24 this season I have no idea why they decided that the last 6 episodes to drop the ball. This episode was not bad. There were good things about it definitely. I guess I am just disappointed that the season went in this direction. I was really hoping and not only hoping but had faith that this season of 24 would manage to bring Kim in and not have her be in danger. I was hoping that they would rely on Kim for something else than to be in peril. But once she was in the airport, I knew that she was in for it. As soon as we had the first shot of the woman that we are supposed to think is a nice woman that will help Kim out, I knew they were bad. There are some things and some situations where 24 cannot fool me anymore, but it’s cute to see them try. There are some things with the Kim thing this time that I appreciated. One was that Kim was not actively kidnapped like she always is; in fact at this point she has no idea what is going on. This was a clear decision made by the writers so that even though they have the same situation going on that we’ve seen before; it’s being done in a different way. So this I appreciated. Something else I have realized about it is that it is the most dramatic thing they can do. It has been a while since we’ve seen Kim and thus it has been a while since Jack has had to face this situation. When you add Tony into the mix of things and the fact that Jack is dying and Renee, you pretty much get the most dramatic situation that Jack can have going for him. So I am excited to see how this I resolved and I am also excited that if they had to bring the Kim thing in, that they have done it in a way that is slightly different. I just hate that the show became so clearly predictable this late in the game.

However I really cannot stand seeing Jack having to play the bad guy. Not in the sense that I think its bad TV but its just hard to watch. Again though, we’ve seen this situation so many times and while it is exciting, I was hoping that this season could continue its’ really impressive exciting streak by bringing something new to the table. Since Kim has to stay alive for Jack to give him the bone marrow so he can survive and since we know Jack survives, we know that both of them live. And since someone big has to die because this is the finale it has to be Tony. So Jack and Kim and Renee (she’s due back next season) will survive and Tony will not. It is not hard to figure out what will happen in these last 2 hours and that is very unfortunate.

In other news, what for me is extremely exciting is that Ethan is back!!!! Here is hoping that Ethan comes back for next season because there is no way Olivia is obviously going to keep this job. I have always liked the Olivia story because even though she is aggravating, I have always been interested in the story. Again though, it’s another story that we pretty much know how it is going to end. I may not know the specific outcome of it but obviously Olivia will no longer have her position at the end of the season and she will be found out. However it will be interesting to see how this effects the Taylor administration. YAY ETHAN!!!

This episode among the goods was a great scene between Jack and Tony in which Jack beat the hell out of Tony all in a minute. Then we see him asking why he betrayed him. Neither has anything left to lose. He looks at Tony like a sad puppy. Then we go to Renee as she gets a position on Jibraan. Then she goes to get Jack and we see that he has been standing there looking at Tony all sad and disappointed and betrayed for the past minute and a half. Oh boy was it sad.

On the other hand we saw Jibraan and Hamid reunite which was nice. I really was hoping they would end up happy. No Taylor which was weird. She has been pretty absent lately. So that is pretty much it. Everything is set up for the next two final hours of 24 Season 7. I’m not too thrilled with the familiar situations we are in going into the finale but I am hoping it will be exciting nonetheless. Even though I’m pretty sure about what is going to happen, it will still be really heartbreaking and dramatic for sure if Tony is in fact dying next week.

No comments: