Friday, December 5, 2008

The Office: Season 5, Episode 12: "The Surplus"


The Office: Season 5, Episode 12: "The Surplus"
Grade: B-


This was a mixed episode of “The Office”. On the one hand it was nice to see Michael’s dream world, with everyone liking him and kissing his ass even though everyone was only doing it to get Michael to pick either the chairs or the copier to spend the surplus on. I think the bulk of this episode showed us what Michael wishes things were like although they addressed it in a way that was entirely humorous and under the radar. Then we had Jim and Pam being on opposite sides of the surplus war which was not really interesting and sort of annoying but then again everything they do is annoying. I was on Jim and Oscar’s side with the copier on this one. Oscar is emerging as one of my favorite characters on the show. It is beyond me as to why they got the chairs. While Michael’s demonstration as to how great the chairs are did show us how horrible they actually are (they really do need new chairs), the fact of the matter is that they are a paper company and they are sending out copies that are fuckity. Michael bringing Hank up was quite funny. While there were several great moments of the episode, this was not one that was hilarious by Office standards. Although I did laugh out loud several times.

The problem I had with this episode was the Andy/Dwight/Angela story. They had a decent part of the episode to themselves as they went to Schrute Farms. On the one hand I really like Andy so giving him more screen time is ok by me. However I cannot stand this story. First of all, I do not like Angela at all. Second of all I do not like Dwight within this story at all either. Third, I feel bad for Andy. Fourth, this story will not end. Fifth, this all leads to me literally not giving a shit what happens to these people as long as Andy has the last laugh. Finally, sixth, what they did this week was ridiculous. So what, Dwight and Angela are fake married now? I don’t get it. Angela had just admitted she made a mistake when Dwight dropped the bomb on her (a bomb that I figured out during the scene when it so obviously took place). This drove Angela into Andy’s arms more so than before. We ended up back where we started except even worse and in a way that seems like this story will never fucking end. Something I am wondering is if we are supposed to be Dwight-Angela supporters at this point. They were a popular couple when they first started their secret relationship and they were well liked. Do the writers want us to want them to be together anymore? Are we supposed to feel sympathy for Andy? Because I do. Are we supposed to accept Angela and Dwight’s stupid and selfish decisions and still be rooting for them? Angela does not have feelings for Andy. So that will never happen. But Angela and Dwight will end up together at the end of all of this and I do not understand if we are supposed to be happy! They are annoying! Why must they get rid of Holly, who provided the other half of the only relationship I actually love on this show?

Anyways, this was a decent episode with a few standout moments, which I will relate to you here. The ones with stars were my absolute favorite moments of the night.

-Oscar’s lemonade stand analogy and later on Michael attempting to explain a surplus to Hank who immediately says he understands what a surplus is.
- Pam: (after Oscar points out that he can’t understand why Pam does not want the copier because she has to use it all the time) “That should tell you how bad the chairs are” (The Pam moment of the night that I really liked.
*-Toby: “We should really have the office's air quality tested. We have radon coming from below. We have asbestos in the ceilings. These are silent killers”.
Michael Scott: “You are the silent killer”.
- *Michael shaking his butt for Pam (Pam: Don’t take it away!/Hot tie guy!)
- *Michael and Jim and Oscar coming back from lunch.
-*Kevin: “Michael’s a genius!”
- Michael: “You think kids in Africa have chairs? No, they just have big piles of garbage.”

No comments: